How Do I Get Treatment if I Do Not Have Health Insurance and I Was in a Car Accident

There are several ways that you can receive medical care if you are involved in a car accident and are injured.  Some types of treatment will depend on how seriously you are injured.

Initially, I would recommend that you go to the emergency room if you are hurt.  All emergency rooms will treat you after a car accident, even if you do not have health insurance.  The emergency room will take x-rays and make sure that you are not in danger.  They will also be able to prescribe any medication that you need.  This may include muscle relaxers or something for pain if you are suffering from back and neck pain.  The emergency room, however, should not be used as your normal treatment facility.  After the initial treatment to ensure nothing life-threatening occurred or to find out if you have any broken bones, you need another doctor.

If you do not have health insurance, it can be difficult to find a doctor that will treat you on credit if you do not have the money to pay for their services immediately.  Some clients have tried to get the insurance company to authorize treatment or tell them where to go to receive treatment.  I have not yet seen any of them be told where to go or have treatment authorized by the defendant's insurance company.  I would normally recommend that you try to receive treatment under a lien or attorney lien.  This is normally an agreement signed by you that indicates that you are agreeing to pay the doctor their fee out of the settlement.  In return, the doctor will treat you on credit.  This can be an excellent way to get your medical care if you do not have the money to pay the doctor immediately.  This method is used frequently in car accidents in the metro Atlanta area.  This method of receiving treatment can be used easily for back and neck injuries or whiplash, but it is harder to accomplish for severe injuries such as broken bones or injuries that require surgery or a specialist.  Feel free to check out our directory of chiropractors in Atlanta and Georgia.  

Through lasting relationships with physicians in the Atlanta area and throughout Georgia, Shane Smith has been able to get many patients treatment on liens.  Some of these have been routine injuries from car accidents like back sprain, and neck sprain where the client needed treatment with a chiropractor or physical therapist, others have been where a client received a bulging disk or herniated disk and required a lumbar fusion.  This required an agreement be made with an orthopedic surgeon.  This was accomplished on a lien.  

Above all if you are injured do not wait for someone else like an insurance adjuster to tell you that you can go to the doctor, go to the emergency room and call an attorney like Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer Shane Smith to help you get in to see a doctor whether your injuries are "soft tissue" or whether they are a broken bone.  We are here to help. 

Related Posts
  • Should I Accept a Settlement from the Insurance Company? Read More
  • Will the Insurance Company Pay My Medical Bills After a Car Accident? Read More
  • “Rule of Thumb” and Other Methods of Valuing a Business Read More