The four and six-year-old were not using car seats or seat belts.
Twenty-two-year-old Cierra Baughcum was arrested for driving under the influence, reckless driving, driving on the wrong side of the road, striking a fixed object, two counts of child endangerment and two counts of child restraint. At the time of the arrest, she had a blood-alcohol content of .392 - five times the legal limit.
Fourteen percent of child car accident deaths (children under age 14) involve a drunk driver. More than two-thirds of child DUI victims are riding with the drunk driver at the time of the accident. In Georgia, drunk drivers who drive with a child in the car may also face child endangerment charges.
Child death is always a tragedy, but Georgia drunk driving deaths may be the most tragic deaths of all. Learn more about the rights of families who have lost a child to a drunk driver in Atlanta DUI victim attorney Shane Smith's article, "Child DUI Deaths in Georgia; Do Parents Have Rights?"
Search Our Site
Before you sign any documents, we urge you to contact our legal team using this short form. We will be in touch within 24 hours to discuss your case.
- Posted on 09/17/2018 DUI Wrongful Death Claims: What You Should Know
- Posted on 09/17/2018 The Deep Emotional Impact of Georgia Drunk Driving Accidents—and Its Role in Personal Injury Cases
- Posted on 09/17/2018 Understanding How the Criminal Process Works in Georgia Drunk Driving Accident Cases
- Love the firm of Shane Smith. I am very happy and would highly recommend them to anyone! I was very informed throughout the process of my case through mail and phone call check ups!
- I am very pleased with Shane Smith Law Office for the hard work and dedication they provided in servicing me on my case. Shane Smith offers quality service. -Alton
- They were very nice and prompt about my whole case. Everyone on staff at Shane Smith's firm treated me with great gratitude and respect. Thank you so much! -Veronica
- ?What separates a personal injury lawyer from a DUI victim lawyer?
- ?My son was badly injured after a football game by a drunk driver. Is our case against the driver or the stadium for serving that driver alcohol?
- ?I understand I can file a lawsuit against a drunk driver who injured me, but will criminal punishment happen too?