Walking from place to place can be a cost-effective and healthy way to commute, but can also expose pedestrians to a significant risk of injury. When pedestrians are involved in accidents with motor vehicles the injuries that they can sustain are severe. When drivers negligently injure pedestrians, victims may be able to recover through a Georgia personal injury lawsuit. A lawsuit stemming from a pedestrian accident could compensate a victim for losses sustained due to medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and property damage, just to name a few. The best way to ensure that your receive compensation for your injuries is to retain the services of an experienced personal injury lawyer. The attorneys of the Law Offices of Shane Smith are dedicated to helping people injured in pedestrian accidents recover for their injuries and hold those responsible accountable.
Fortunately for pedestrians, there are some basic steps that they can take to reduce their risk of being involved in a pedestrian accident. The Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety recommends that pedestrians follow the following safety tips:
- Walk on the sidewalk – if there is no sidewalk, walk as far left as possible, facing oncoming traffic
- Only cross the street at crosswalks – when an option, always walk in painted crosswalk lines
- Stop and look before crossing the street – never walk into a street without looking for traffic first
- Be sure to obey all traffic signals – when crossing streets, be sure to look at all signals
- Look to the left, right, and the left again before crossing a street
- Wear bright clothing
- Make sure you are aware of turning traffic
- Be aware of vehicles pulling out of driveways
- Do not play in the street
Contact a Coweta County personal injury attorney for a free consultation
By following these basic tips, you can reduce your risk of being involved in a pedestrian accident. In the unfortunate event that you are involved in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to substantial compensation. The attorneys of the Law Offices of Shane Smith are personal injury lawyers who are dedicated to helping people injured in pedestrian accidents recover for their injuries. To schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys, call our office today at (770) 487-8999.