Almost every driver has experienced a motor vehicle accident in one capacity or another. In many instances, it is relatively easy to determine which driver caused the car accident and, therefore, which person should be held responsible for your injuries and accident-related damages. However, determining liability in a motor vehicle accident that involves a large semi-truck can be significantly more complicated. This is because the driver is not the only person you can sue and from whom you may recover following a truck accident. In order to ensure you receive maximum compensation for your injuries, you should always contact an experienced Coweta County truck accident attorney for assistance if you believe you may have a case.
As previously mentioned, multiple parties may be held liable for truck accidents. These parties include:
- The truck drive—if the accident was caused by driver error, such as fatigued driving, distracted driving, aggressive driving, failure to follow traffic laws, or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- The truck company—if they negligently hired a truck driver, allowed an unqualified driver to drive a commercial truck, did not perform the required drug or alcohol testing on drivers, or otherwise violated any regulations set forth by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- The truck maintenance company—if they did not properly inspect or maintain the truck, and a faulty truck part caused the accident.
- The cargo loading company—if improperly loaded, unsecured, or shifting cargo caused the truck trailer to sway or roll over and cause an accident.
- The truck manufacturer—if a truck part was defective in design or manufacture and its malfunction caused the accident.
As you can see, determining liability in a truck accident can be significantly more complicated than in an ordinary motor vehicle accident. You always want to ensure that you bring a claim against the correct party and all possible parties that may be responsible. Experienced truck accident lawyer Shane Smith knows how to ensure that you hold the proper parties liable and receive the settlement you deserve. Do not hesitate to call our office today at (980) 246-2656