Some states differentiate between DUI and DWI. In these states DUI is a lesser charge signifies a lower blood alcohol concentration (BAC).
The state of Georgia does not differentiate between DUI and DWI. In Georgia the term DUI is used because it encompasses the use of both drugs and alcohol. A Georgia driver with a BAC of .08 or greater is automatically charged with DUI. However, if a driver’s ability is impaired, he may be charged with Georgia DUI even if he has a BAC lower than .08.
Driving under the influence is a misdemeanor in Georgia. Drivers who are charged may lose driving privileges, be fined, or face jail time. However, drivers who cause accidents while under the influence may face felony charges – especially if the accident causes serious injury or death.
In addition to criminal charges, victims of Georgia DUI accidents may file civil claims against the drunk driver and his insurance company. DUI victims may sue for damages including:
• Medical expenses
• Property damage
• Loss of income
• Pain and suffering
• Wrongful death
To learn more about your rights after an DUI crash in Georgia, call Atlanta car accident attorney Shane Smith at 770-HURT-999.
Search Our Site
Before you sign any documents, we urge you to contact our legal team using this short form. We will be in touch within 24 hours to discuss your case.
- Posted on 09/17/2018 DUI Wrongful Death Claims: What You Should Know
- Posted on 09/17/2018 The Deep Emotional Impact of Georgia Drunk Driving Accidents—and Its Role in Personal Injury Cases
- Posted on 09/17/2018 Understanding How the Criminal Process Works in Georgia Drunk Driving Accident Cases
- Love the firm of Shane Smith. I am very happy and would highly recommend them to anyone! I was very informed throughout the process of my case through mail and phone call check ups!
- I am very pleased with Shane Smith Law Office for the hard work and dedication they provided in servicing me on my case. Shane Smith offers quality service. -Alton
- They were very nice and prompt about my whole case. Everyone on staff at Shane Smith's firm treated me with great gratitude and respect. Thank you so much! -Veronica
- ?What separates a personal injury lawyer from a DUI victim lawyer?
- ?My son was badly injured after a football game by a drunk driver. Is our case against the driver or the stadium for serving that driver alcohol?
- ?I understand I can file a lawsuit against a drunk driver who injured me, but will criminal punishment happen too?