Our team at Shane Smith Law will review your case, free of charge, and explain your legal options.
Cincinnati Wrongful Death Lawyers
Our Attorneys Fight for Justice When You Have Lost a Loved One in a Preventable Accident
It is always tragic when a spouse, parent, or child is taken away too soon. Adjusting to life without the caregiver, provider, or treasured child who has died is a burden no one should have to endure. Nothing can ease the pain or bring back the lost loved one. However, when the death was the result of an accident that was caused by another party’s negligence, recklessness, or carelessness, you may be able to take legal action against the at-fault party and recover financial compensation for your loss.
This is known as a wrongful death claim, and the attorneys at Shane Smith Law have the skill and experience to represent you when you have lost a loved one.
What Is Wrongful Death?
In legal terms, a wrongful death is a death caused by a wrongful act, neglect, or default that would have entitled the victim to file a claim for damages if he or she had not died. In other words, an accident that would have led to a personal injury claim if the victim had survived can be cause for a wrongful death claim if he or she did not survive.
Examples of possible wrongful death claims include:
- A vehicle accident caused by a drunk driver
- A car crash caused by a driver who was speeding, reckless, or violated a traffic law
- A semi-truck crash caused by a fatigued trucker or poor maintenance of the truck
- A slip and fall on a wet floor in a grocery store
- An assault in a poorly lit parking garage
- A pedestrian accident at an intersection caused by a careless driver
To prove a wrongful death claim, the negligence of the responsible party will have to be demonstrated and supported with strong evidence. Our experienced attorneys understand what makes a good wrongful death claim and will fight for the compensation you deserve when you have suffered such an unimaginable loss.
Damages that May Be Awarded
According to the Ohio wrongful death statute, damages can be awarded for medical expenses and other economic losses incurred by the decedent in the time between the accident and their death.
In addition, the following non-economic damages may be awarded:
- Loss of support from the reasonably expected earning capacity of the decedent
- The mental anguish incurred by the surviving spouse, dependent children, parents, or next of kin of the decedent
- Loss of services of the decedent
- Loss of prospective inheritance to the decedent's heirs
- Loss of the society of the decedent, including loss of companionship, consortium, care, assistance, attention, protection, advice, guidance, counsel, instruction, training, and education, suffered by the surviving spouse, dependent children, parents, or next of kin of the decedent
These non-economic damages can be difficult to quantify, but our experienced wrongful death attorneys in Cincinnati know how to determine the potential value of these kinds of losses and will make sure you get what you are entitled to when you have lost a loved one.
If a tragic accident has taken the life of your spouse, parent, or child, call us at (980) 246-2656. We are here to help.
The sooner you contact our Cincinnati wrongful death lawyers after you have lost a loved one in a tragic accident, the more we will be able to help. It’s important to be aware that you must file a wrongful death claim within two years of the date of your loved one’s death under Ohio’s statute of limitations. Also, except in limited circumstances, claims can only be filed on behalf of the decedent’s spouse, parents, or children.
Contact Shane Smith Law
We understand that this is a difficult time for you. We handle our wrongful death cases with extreme sensitivity and compassion. When you contact us after a loved one’s death, we will be honest about whether you have a claim or not. If you do, we will take care of all the details, so you have the freedom and space to mourn with your loved ones.
Millions of Dollars Obtained
Our team is committed to obtaining the best possible result on your behalf. Whether your injury is small or big, we will not rest until we get the compensation you deserve.Explore Our Results
Committed to Providing Answers
We understand that this is a scary and confusing time. We have created a library of free resources that will allow you to start finding the answers and solutions to your most pressing questions.Explore Our Library
Focused on Your Recovery
We handle all aspects of Personal Injury throughout North Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina, and Ohio. If you have been injured, our team can help.Explore How We Can Help